Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I LOVE THIS SEASON!

We are heading into my favourite season of the year - fall.

It excites me so much when I step outside and the crisp air brushes against my face - I think of it as God "kissing" me!

My husband Paul would often remind me that God made the windly fall days especially for me, out of His love for me. I love movement in nature, the branches of trees bending in the wind and the whirlwind of leaves rustling around my feet.

I love the smells of the this season too. There is a "woodsy" smell as the leaves and small branches begin to decay and disappear under foot. And the smell of wood burning in stoves as we walk past our neighbours home makes me wish for a few moments we heated our home that way again.

When I check the temperature every morning and notice that it's starting to get in the lower numbers, I actually get excited because it means "sweater season" is almost here. I love to wear sweaters, cardigans, hoodies, anything warm and cozy. The "bundling up" of extra clothing gives me a sense of being hugged.

Sitting beside a warm fire with a hot cup of coffee and reading a book or visiting with a friend, are some of my favourite things that I enjoy most.

The most obvious reason I love this season is because of the splendor of colour that bursts forth mid October covering the countryside like a patchwork quilt of random hues of oranges, reds and yellows. The last explosion of life before the cold takes the leaves away. God's design for beauty is evident everywhere I look.

I have wonderful memories of this season too.All three of my children were born in the fall, my birthday is in the fall and I was married in mid November.

The routine of the fall is something I also enjoy. When we lived in Halifax in the southend of the city, we were close to the universities and the first of of September there would be a "buzz" happening as the students desended on the campus grounds, ready to begin a new year of study.

The fervour of activity and "starting" of something new excites me. I become energized and spontaneous and take on a multitude of tasks.

The "nesting" is what I love about the fall. It's all about creating and preparing that safe place inside where friends and family can gather and be warmed and loved. The season creates intimacy in a way - a gathering together to be close, a form of community within our homes.

Welcome this fall with a sense of awe and wonder and celebrate the gift of relationship with those you love and care for.

No comments: