Saturday, March 8, 2008

My Search for Compassion

It's been such a long time since I last blogged and it's not because there hasn't been changes going on in my life. There is still a growing passion to know my Lord in a deeper way. I've just been hesitant in putting it into print, out there on the world wide web for the few who visit my blog to see.

But I've felt the "nudge" to get at it again, so I will hopefully be more faithful in my posts.

I'm seeking to know more about compassion. So I am reading a book from my favourite author, Henri Nouwen entitled "Compassion" and have recently finished another by him entitled " The Way of the Heart", which I absolutely loved.

I must confess that when I read a book, I am a compulsive highlighter and underliner and a reckless reader that "dog-ears" pages that I want to find easily again. I have a friend that considers this an absolute torture to a beautifully perfect piece of print. For me, I want to be able to find the phrases and words that so powerfully spoke to me and so my books really become like friends to me - I use them well, in the good sense of the word. (Pity the poor person who asks to borrow them to read!! They may be shocked at my abuse and creative license with "highlighters and pen".)

Here is a quote that I love.

"Compassion is the fruit of solitude and the basis of all ministry. The purification and transformation that take place in solitude manifest themselves in compassion. Compassion is hard because it requires the inner disposition to go with others to the place where they are weak, vulnerable, lonely, and broken."

And another ...

"Compassion can never coexist with judgment because judgment creates the distance, the distinction, which prevents us from really being with the other. Compassion means full immersion in the condition of being human."

My study so far, leads me to believe it is not an easy gift to acquire and perhaps more difficult to live out once one receives it. But oh so important to long for if we really want to embrace and comfort our hurting fellow humans.

And I wonder why at times it is so easy for me to "love" some, and yet very difficult to "love" others. Over the years, and more than once, I can recall asking God specifically to give me a measure of love for an individual that I just knew in my heart I struggled in loving. He was faithful to my requests and indeed, filled me with "His" love.

So as I continue my reading and studying, I will share further insights in hopes that whoever reads my blog may find that my times of reflection and contemplation are encouraging and comforting as they journey along the path to discovering who this God is that calls them forth to serve and know him.

No comments: