Friday, December 21, 2007

Loneliness

I just finished talking with my daughter Sandy who is in Germany now on a missions trip. She's quite homesick and lonely. Mainly because it's Christmas time and she's not with the family to celebrate.

We usually have a fun time being together and this is the first time that she is so far away and unable to be with us.

It's hard for us too.

The "mom" in me would love to go and rescue her and bring her back her for the 5 or 6 days that she is off and then she could go back again to the mission base. Some of the other team members are doing that.

But I can't always be running to "rescue" her. And she knows that. She's just having a lonely moment.

Loneliness is a painful ailment. We were created for fellowship and companionship and to belong to a "body" that is made up of many members.

When we are not with those we love the most and hold dear, there is an ache within our heart. There are so many lonely people in this world. I happen to know some of them and the pain they describe to me is crippling.

I can't solve their problems either. Loneliness can happen for many reasons. Some our own doing, some that happen because of circumstance. Whatever the situation, or cause, those of us who are for the moment strong, need to rally around and embrace them with arms of compassion.

I will be praying that my daughter may find strength in the Lord this holiday season and friendship in the company of other Christian brothers and sisters who will be sensitive to her needs.

No comments: