Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas - A time for Giving

There is something wonderful that happens when we give. It's a smile that comes across our face and a warm feeling deep inside because we've done something nice for someone. Often times it's a sacrificial act given when we ourselves are in pain.

I had an experience last week when I was struggling over the concerns of my grandchildren inheriting my husbands visual impairment. Since one of our daughters is trying to have children of her own, the reality that this condition may be passed on is very real. We are starting the process of seeking out further opinions and genetic counseling.

At one point in particular, I grieved in my spirit for the lives of my grandchildren yet unborn that could have poor sight. I know all too well the pain associated in having a child with a disability and also the struggles that my husband faces because of his lack of vision.

In the midst of all of this, I heard about a close friend that was struggling with some severe physical issues and for some reason, I felt that I should go and minister to this person even though I was hurting myself.

What I realized is that in setting aside my pain, putting it on the back shelf, I was more open to give every part of me and share in my friends pain. The coming along side meant that I wept with her, held her, prayed with her, hugged her and wept some more.

I was in a vulnerable position but was willing to lay this before the Lord and ask Him for a gift of ministry for my friend. He came through and the time together was rich and healing.

In times of complete emptiness and pain, God chooses to demonstrate his great work through us, if we are willing to allow him to do so. I can't help but believe that we then receive grace to carry on with our own struggles.

During the summer God spoke to me about extravagant giving, extravagant loving. It's an attitude of the heart that I continually want to develop more and more in my Christian walk.

At what cost will we continue to keep giving? Keep loving? I believe that love goes all the way - beyond "normal", - "over-the-top". It should be a sacrificial offering of our "best", given in the most humble way. And we need to ignore the "second guessing" of our intentions, that will only get us into trouble and paralyze us next time we feel inclined to give.

It is in giving that miracles happen. It is in giving that lives find new hope and courage to carry on. It is in giving that we invest in lives that will change the future. It is in giving that Christ smiles upon us. It is in giving, that we receive.

Freely we have received, freely we must give.

Let this Christmas be a time that you give out of the abundance of your heart, your life, your possessions.

No comments: