Thursday, August 23, 2007

A Parent's Blessing

I am at a wonderful stage of life. My children are all in their 20's, independent and charting their own course.

The parenting is over. The suggestion of advice is sometimes welcome, sometimes not, which is perfectly fine. Decisions are made that you find out about later. This is all good. All natural. All the way it should be.

The relationship of parent and child shifts and if you're lucky, you enter a relationship with them as adults and even friends.

What I have come to realize recently is how different a person I am when I am with my kids. Particularly, when I am with my girls on an "outing".

I "morph" into this carefree, hilarious person that few people see. The walls come down, the motherly role is forgotten. We laugh at each other, but they mostly laugh at me - the silly things I do, the silly things I say! I laugh at Me! We are like three best friends having the time of our lives.

My kids keep me young. Sandy was the first one to pull me out on the dance floor several years ago and I'm glad she did. We had so much fun dancing. I experienced a joy with her that I will forever remember.

We've checked out the makeup counters, hit the clothing sales, tried on dozens of shoes (it's a female thing!) shared nachos and sometimes, we've caught the latest "chick flick." But mostly, we've shopped.

I become a less serious person and forget the rules for a short time. I've connected with their friends who remind me what goes on inside the heads of 18-20 year olds. It's good to be reminded. It makes me less judgmental - I was 18 once.

Our conversation can span the entire globe. It can be ridiculous - particularly when we complain about the few pounds we've gained; how we look in this piece of clothing -"does this make me look fat?" or should I get my hair coloured (again...Sandy??!!) Or we can find ourselves in tears because we've had a TM (tender moment... I'm the one with the record for the most TM's) and our hearts become connected.

There are times when I've been able to tell them what God is doing in my life, where He seems to be leading me, how He has spoken to me lately and I know they are moved by what I'm sharing.

There is absolutely nothing else in this world that brings me as much joy and deep happiness, than to hear my kids tell me over and over again that they love me. And, they always do. My son will end the conversation by telling me he loves me. It means so much to me.

This relationship is rich that I have with my children. I am truly blessed. I am satisfied. I am content. I am full. I am so grateful to God .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mom! You are an amazing women! I am so glad you are sharing your obvious GOD given gift of writing to touch the hearts of others. I hope someday I may be such a women as you! You are inspiring, motivating, my best frined, my safe place, and most importantly....my MOM! Love you heaps!

PS. I think I might highlight my hair with some blonde bits before i leave for Germany! :D

Jodi Eksteen said...

Hi Mom. I am so proud of you. I could not imagine a better mother than you. Someday I will be a mom and I pray that I will follow in your example of how to love, protect, listen, and encourage. Thanks for allowing us to see you grow and change - you are so beautiful - inside and out. I love you.