Thursday, August 16, 2007

Love moves me to Serve

I awoke early this morning and heard God encourage me to get up out of bed and spend some time with Him. Gladly, I can say, I responded to the call this morning. Most mornings I just roll over and try to get some extra sleep before the day begins. (I am not a morning person).

So I snuck downstairs as quietly as I could and put some coffee on. I brought a cup up to my husband, woke him with a kiss on the forehead and began my day with him.

What I am learning lately is that the more we love, the more we are called to serve. The more denying of ourselves, prefering one another, and caring for their needs before our own, is in fact, the life we are called to.

It is usually easier for mothers to do this because of our nurturing instinct. Our whole focus is on the care and training of our children. Seeking their good, before our own.

At this stage of empty nest in my life, my primary care and serving goes to my husband. Then to my family spread across the country and then to my friends and community.

What I have yet to learn is to serve under difficult circumstances. I'm sure the trip I am taking to Africa this fall will teach me that.

2 comments:

Dan Wilt said...

To serve may be to live. Thanks Robyn.

Unknown said...

I know you're going to be a great servant on our trip. I can't wait to be there serving with you!