Sunday, August 12, 2007

Unspoken Messages of Love

Our family has a secret "gesture" which we use from time to time when words cannot be spoken, which means "I love you".

I can't remember how it started, but we've been doing it for years now. It's so special and endearing to us all, that when we give the signal, we smile not only with our lips, but our eyes too.

Because two of our family members are visually impaired, we don't use the gesture at a great distance. Instead, we do it when we are actually very near to each other, which gives it a more intimate and close feel.

I love language that is not spoken with words (although I do love affirmation of love with words too), but there is something so beautifully spoken in the silence of words and in the expression of our physical bodies.

A smile that sneaks across our face, or a tear that finds its way out, marking it's path down our cheeks. A hand that reaches out to grasp another. An arm that seeks to hold someone tight. A nod that acknowledges one's presence.

We have been fearfully and wonderfully designed by a loving Creator. I love to sit in His silence and without any words spoken from Him, know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is telling me He loves me.

3 comments:

Dan Wilt said...

Robyn, this is such a glistening post. Would you please continue to share these with the world?

I know that others, like me, will be moved from one place to another every time you write.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn,
I'm loving reading your heart online. It's so cool that your family has it's own "I love you." We have at least three in my family that I can think of. Sometimes it's nice to say 'I love you' without our voices.

Keep the writing coming.

Anonymous said...

Hey Robyn,
the anonymous comment was from me. I didn't figure out the sign in thing til just now. Oops.