Friday, August 8, 2008

"Deeply Spiritual"

The other day I was with a dear friend who in conversation referred to another woman as a "deeply spiritual woman". It caught my attention and for a moment I was off on a thought about what "deeply spiritual' meant.

Something about it resonated within my soul. Someday, I would love to be known in this way.

And I then thought, well, what does it look like when one is "deeply spiritual"? So here is what immediately came to mind.

One who is described this way would have a relationship with the Lord that would always be growing, whether through circumstances of pain and suffering or joy and celebration. There would be evidence that a deep work is going on within the soul.

They would have peace about them that passes all understanding. A humbleness that speaks of relinquishing the demands of self, allowing others to go before them. A kindness and love that can always "go one more mile for a friend", a reserve of patience and tolerance that could only be given by God himself.

They would have a sense of God's presence in all that they do - forever aware that he is in all and through all.

They would have an accurate understanding of who they are. An acceptance of their weaknesses and vulnerabilities in a way that God can be glorified in them. They would see the beauty and potential in others and encourage it to come forth.

I'm seeking to be a "deeply spiritual" woman.

I long to know my Lord in such a way that I can hear and feel his heart beat because he is so close. I long to hear him whisper in my ear that he loves me. I long to feel his embrace holding and protecting me. I long to laugh at the things that bring him joy and experience his delight. I long to have his thoughts be mine. I long to have his heart, even a portion of it, find its home in mine.

I long to give my life to him.

Deeply spiritual.

No comments: