Sunday, January 6, 2008

An Africa Meditation

When I was in Africa I read several books that were life giving to me. One such book was a devotional by Henri J. M. Nouwen, "Finding My Way Home". It so moved me and challenged me in my spiritual journey. Following is one of several passages that was of particular benefit to me.

"In this world when you are chosen, you know that somebody else is not chosen. When you are the best, you know that somebody is not the best. When you win and receive a prize, you know there is somebody who lost. But this is not so in the heart of God. If you are chosen in the heart of God, you have eyes to see the chosenness of others. If the love of God blesses you, you have eyes to see the blessedness of others."

My prayer Lord is that my eyes may catch a glimpse of how you see others, how you look beyond the exterior, the personality, the facades, to the very heart of the individual. You see the pain and you see the promise. Help me to see like you.

No comments: